AAP Tennis

Dispirited de Minaur downed at Queen’s

By AAP Newswire

A dejected Alex de Minaur admits issues away from tennis are affecting his game following a dispiriting first-round defeat at Queen's Club.

The Australian No.1 and world No.26 said he needs to take stock after his 3-6 6-4 6-4 loss to Slovenian qualifier Aljaz Bedene in a rain-delayed match in what was a hammer blow to his Wimbledon preparations.

De Minaur was leading by a set and 1-2 down on serve when the heavens opened yet again over west London.

After returning, following a three-hour stoppage, the world No.26 struggled to replicate his earlier momentum and Bedene, a former British Davis Cup player, broke him midway through both sets to seal victory.

The 20-year-old this week spoke of the difficulty he'd experienced in realising he was doing too much in training.

This subsequently led to him being struck down by osteitis pubis - a condition that sidelined him for two months earlier this year.

Last week the out-of-form Sydneysider was knocked out of the grass court event in Rosalen, Holland, by fellow Aussie and eventual finalist, Jordan Thompson.

That defeat came hot on the heels of his second round, 6-3 6-1 6-1 mauling in the French Open by Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta.

After losing to Bedene, de Minaur admitted he needed to work out a way to get out of the funk that has enveloped his game.

"The weather is one of those things you cannot control, but I've got to have a long, hard look at myself in the mirror and fix the things that are not going right at the moment," de Minaur told AAP.

"As a tennis player you just want to play tennis, and only think about playing tennis.

"But you can't help with other factors roaming around.

"It's something I just have to separate and hopefully help me play some better tennis and not let these matches slip away.

"There is a lot of stuff that I have to deal with at the moment but there is no excuse for today."

In a worrying moment, de Minaur took a heavy fall at the back of the court late in the match and lay on the ground for several seconds before finally getting to his feet.

"It definitely wasn't the reason I lost, that sort of thing happens on a grass court," he said.

With Wimbledon starting on July 1, de Minaur is running out of time to hone his game and admits he needs to work out a way to recapture his form from 12 months ago when he reached the third round as a teenager.

"Right now I've got no idea what I am going to do," he said.

"I'll have to sit down with my team and work out what is the best option for me to go to Wimbledon in the best possible shape."

Nick Kyrgios has been forced to wait yet again for his first-round match which will now take place on 11am on Thursday (1900 AEST) against lucky loser Roberto Carballes Baena of Spain.

Australian No.2 Kyrgios was due to face Adrian Mannarino, who beat Thompson in Holland, but the Frenchman withdrew on Wednesday due to a finger injury.