Liberal leader Angus Taylor has indicated a harder line on issues such as immigration just days after taking over the role from Sussan Ley.
While Mr Taylor did not specify what migration levels should be, he said numbers should be lower.
"We shouldn't discriminate based on race or religion, but we should based on values," he told a Q and A at the Centre for Independent Studies on Monday.
"If people want to come to our country who do not believe in democracy, who do not believe in our laws, who do not believe in our basic freedoms, we should shut the door."
As Mr Taylor decides the make-up of his front bench, Liberal Party policy could ban migrants from certain countries from entering Australia.
The proposed Liberal policy, prepared before Ms Ley was ousted as party leader, would reportedly ban migrants from areas controlled by terror groups from entering the country.
The restrictions could impact people from parts of the Philippines, Egypt, Yemen and Gaza.
Mr Taylor would not confirm whether the policy proposal would be adopted, but said there were areas where hatred was more likely to originate.
"We clearly don't want to let radical terrorists, Islamist extremists, into the country. I mean that is clear," he said.
"That's a very widely held view across the Australian community, including the Muslim community."
Mr Taylor is expected to announce his front bench as early as Tuesday, with key conservatives including Andrew Hastie and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price tipped to return to the shadow ministry.
Senator Nampijinpa Price used a podcast interview to lobby for a greater role on Mr Taylor's team, claiming she had previously been thrown under the bus by her colleagues.
"I'm back baby, I'm back," she told the Karl Stefanovic Show podcast.
"I was having a breather, but I'm back. The fire's back."
The firebrand senator refused to apologise for claiming Labor was bringing in Indian migrants because they would vote for the party - controversial remarks that partly led to Ms Ley dumping her from the front bench.
Asked about the forthcoming immigration policy, deputy Nationals leader Kevin Hogan appeared to let slip a crucial detail about the timing of the frontbench announcement.
"I haven't seen the document that you're talking about. It certainly hasn't come through the new shadow cabinet that's going to be announced tomorrow," he told Sky News on Monday.
Mr Taylor's office said the announcement would take place in coming days.
The first poll released since Ms Ley was ousted shows support for the coalition up three percentage points to 23 per cent, a tie with Pauline Hanson's One Nation.
The Resolve survey, published in the Nine papers, was conducted in the final days of Ms Ley's leadership and the first days of Mr Taylor's.
Mr Taylor's other key focus has been economic management, with the opposition leader writing to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to call for a joint Labor-coalition audit of government spending.
"Record levels of government expenditure are contributing to higher inflation, upward pressure on interest rates and a growing public debt burden that will ultimately fall on future generations of Australians," Mr Taylor wrote.
But Treasurer Jim Chalmers blasted the demand for an inquiry as a predictable stunt.
"Angus Taylor promised change or die and instead he's delivered a strongly worded letter and this just shows how bereft the Liberal Party is of economic credibility," he told reporters in Brisbane.