The Polish government had reacted with disbelief at news that 4000 troops from the Army's 2nd Armoured Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division were no longer on the way as planned to the country that borders Ukraine.
The Trump administration previously said it was cutting US forces in Germany, a decision sparking unease and criticism in both Europe and Washington.
On Tuesday night, chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell called it a "temporary delay" of the deployment of US forces to Poland, which he described as a "model US ally".
Poland spends the most in the NATO military alliance on defence as a proportion of its economy, about 4.7 per cent in 2025.
Parnell called the delay a result of the US reducing the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three, and indicated the Pentagon needed to decide which troops to station where.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk on Wednesday said he was happy to hear "Washington's declaration that Poland will be treated as it deserves".
Polish Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, who spoke with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Tuesday night, said the new US statements mean that the "US presence is maintained".
"Sometimes a rotating model can change into a permanent model and this is always much better," he said.
About 10,000 US troops are typically stationed in Poland, the majority of them present on a rotational basis.
Polish officials said they were told they would be involved in discussions about the reorganisation of US troops in Europe.
The US did not say how long the delay would last, and the Polish defence minister said he was hoping for clarification on troop presence in the following weeks.
But Tusk said Europeans should be under no illusion about Washington's determination to reduce its military presence on the continent and the need for Europeans to fill the gap.
On Wednesday, NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte said US allies had known for a year that the Trump administration would be withdrawing some troops from Europe and it expects, "rightly, for Europe and Canada to take a bigger responsibility for the conventional defence of NATO and particularly, of course, the European part of NATO".
Rutte said the US "will stay involved" but over time could pivot resources elsewhere in the world.
Trump and the Pentagon have said they were drawing down at least 5000 troops in Germany after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the US was being "humiliated" by Iran's leadership and criticised what he called a lack of strategy in the war.